After the the death of Julliot in 1802, 21 VC was rented by his wife to the city of Paris - 6ième arrondissement for use as it’s city hall from 22 December 1804 until 1 July 1818, at which point the city hall moved to 11 rue Servandoni.


During this time, Napoleon Bonaparte

married his second wife, Marie Louise.   The marriage was celebrated in the chapel of the Louve and civil contracts signed in the city hall offices at 21 VC.

The building’s site

1552

1615

Between 1855 and 1866, the rue de Rennes was created by flattening a 22 meter wide swath of buildings between Montparnasse and l’Eglise St Germain. The rue de Cannettes previously began at rue du Vieux Colombier, running south along the eastern side of #17 rue du Vieux Colomber.


In 1875 a major seven story addition was added to the front of 21 VC, replacing the side wings of the original sructure and adding the portion of the building that today can be seen from the street.

(1) loti à la fin du XVI siècle. Berty, Bourg St-Germain 73.

2007

Staircase (existing steps to caves built in 1702)

Rental Aparment

Back Courtyard

1804

A portion of the building that stands today at 21 rue du Vieux Colombier (21 VC) was built around 1702 on the emplacement of “clos Chéradam” (1).  This Hotel was first occupied by M. Peyrenc de Moras during the reign of Louis XV.  De Moras is famous for having been involved in the financial speculation from the introduction in France of paper money by John Law in 1717.  The Marquis Peyrenc de Moras knew when to sell and became very wealthy. He built in 1732 the fabulous Hotel Biron that is today the musée Rodin.


21 VC was sold in 1783 by Louis-Charles-Alexandre comte de Maupeou, who lived rue de l’Unversité, to Charles Bougault, a maître charpentier.  At his death a year later, his inheriters sold the building to Nicolas-Martin Julliot de Fromont, maître d’hôtel du roi, and his wife Henriette-Bénédictine Duliège.